It’s that time of year. Baking season (or what some may call “fall”) is upon us. And when it comes to baking, I’m not just talking about the sweets, but the savory goodness of one-pan baked dishes that feel like a big hug in your tummy with every bite.
This easy vegan lasagna is one of them. It’s a dish filled with a bounty of fall veggies that will have everyone in the house (and maybe your neighbors too) tip-toeing along the aromatic trail to the kitchen as it bakes and bubbles. It’s a simple, nutritiously dense meal that is perfect for sharing at holiday gatherings, enjoying on your own, or for meal prep.
For a complete video tutorial on how to make this dish, check out my Instagram reels!
Easy Vegan Lasagna
Time: 30 minutes prep, 45-55 minutes baking
Makes 6 servings
- Food processor/strong blender
- Large Pan
- Medium pot
- 8×11 ceramic or glass baking dish (if smaller or larger, adjust ingredient ratios accordingly)
Easy homemade marinara
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp red chili flakes
- 2 cans tomato sauce (850 g)
- ½ cup diced or crushed tomatoes (optional for a chunky sauce)
- ½ tsp dried ginger
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp brown sugar, adjust to taste
- 1 tsp salt, adjust to taste
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 head broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 cup butternut squash, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup canned or jarred artichoke hearts (optional)
- 1 tbsp zaatar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- No-boil Lasagna Sheets (enough to fit your pan for 3 layers, I used 9)
- 4-5 cups baby spinach
- vegan shredded cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- 1/4 cup sliced pickled jalapenos (optional)
- Fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- vegan high protein ricotta (click here for recipe)
Vibrant Herb Oil: (optional) If you’re feeling ambitious, you can also make this vibrant green herb oil to dress up the dish!
- 450 g high quality olive oil
- 60 g parsley
- 30 g basil
- 30 g spinach
For the Herb Oil:
In a high-speed blender, combine the below ingredients for about 5 minutes until smooth and infused. Strain over a nut milk bag or cheesecloth to separate the pulp from the bright green oil. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week for the freshes taste!
For the Lasagna:
- Prep your no-boil lasagna sheets by spreading each sheet with the vegan high protein ricotta on one side. Set aside.
- To make the marinara sauce, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add Italian seasoning, oregano, red chili flakes, paprika, dried ginger and lightly toast until just aromatic.
- Turn heat down low, and add tomato sauce and crushed/diced tomatoes. Stir to combine and quickly cover as it may splatter if your pot is still hot!
- Simmer the sauce on low for 10 minutes while you chop and prep your lasagna filling, giving it an occasional stir.
- Finally, add brown sugar and salt to taste to balance the acidity of the tomato sauce. Set aside.
- To a large pan, add olive oil and warm on medium heat.
- Add cauliflower & butternut squash and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add broccoli, zuchinni, artichoke, red bell pepper, salt, and zaatar. Cook for another 3-4 minutes on medium heat, occasionally tossing the veggies until just fork tender.
- To assemble, first add a scoop of sauce to the bottom of an 8 x 11 ceramic or glass baking dish.
- Next, layer on ingredients with: ricotta coated lasagna sheet (ricotta side up), veggies, spinach, vegan shredded cheese, sauce, and repeat twice.
- After the second layer, add another layer of ricotta coated lasagna sheets (ricotta side down), vegan cheese, olives, and jalapenos.
- Cover with foil and bake at 450F for 45-55 minutes.
- Remove and serve warm with a drizzle of the vibrant herb oil around the lasagna piece. Pair with a cool, crisp salad like this cruciferous slaw or this mediterranean salad for a complete meal!
Be sure to subscribe to the blog so you don’t miss any new recipes!
In case you missed it, check out my recent cooking experiments below!