Let’s take a boring plain box of cornbread and spice it up! Inspired by the flavors of handvo, a traditional Gujarati vegetable cake, this recipe is a beautiful melange of Western and Eastern cultures. So if you don’t have access to handvo flour, are a homesick college student, need a quick appetizer with chai, or simply love fusion food, this recipe is for you! And of course, it’s vegan too! Also, if you don’t have a store bought cornbread mix, see the note below for how to make it from scratch. This is also a fantastic make-ahead recipe and keeps well in the fridge for several days, although they’ll likely be devoured before then 😛
Spiced Handvo Cornbread
Time: 15 minutes prep + 35 minutes baking time
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 box Trader Joe’s Cornbread Mix (you could also use another brand, but this is what I used and it is vegan!)*
- 1-2 tsp red chili
- ½ cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup zucchini, finely chopped or grated
- ½ cup green cabbage, finely chopped
- ½ cup roasted peanuts, chopped + for garnish
- ¼ cup pepitas for garnish (optional)
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- 1 flax egg (soak 1 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp water for 5 minutes)
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk (I used soy milk)
- Juice of ½ lemon (this helps dull down the sweetness)
Tempered oil (vaghaar):
- ¼ cup neutral oil
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp karoori methi (sub oregano)
- 2-3 green chilis, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dhana jeeru (cumin-coriander)
- 1 tsp hing
- 5-6 curry leaves
*If you do not have a store-bought cornbread mix, you can alternatively combine: 1 cup fine yellow cornmeal, 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1/4 cup sweetener (apple sauce, coconut sugar, or granulated sugar) to create a homemade mix.
- Temper the spices or vaghaar. Heat 1/4 cup neutral cooking oil on medium heat. Once warm, add the mustard seeds. Once they start to crackle, add remaining spices and cook for 1-2 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring to avoid burning. Set aside.
- Whisk together tempered spiced oil, non-dairy milk, lemon juice, and flax egg.
- Toss in veggies, turmeric, and red chili.
- Slowly fold in cornbread mix, 1 cup at a time. Be careful not to over mix.
- Transfer to baking dish or cupcake pan, and top off with crunchy peanuts and pepitas.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve warm! It pairs wonderfully with a cozy cup of chai or hearty soup.
If you like this recipe and want to see more like it, be sure to subscribe to the blog and follow Pinki’s Palate on Instagram! I love seeing your creations, so tag @pinkispalate on Instagram if you make this recipe!