Craving the ooey-gooey warmth of those movie theater nachos? Well, give it a savory twist with half the calories! This recipe makes a savory afternoon snack, or party appetizer.
Jain Masala Cream Nachos
To make the nachos, begin by collecting the ingredients:
For the Jain Taco Masala:
Combine the following ingredients to taste:
Salt, Cumin, Paprika, Oregano, Chili pepper powder, black pepper, black salt
I mostly eye-balled the masala measurements, but feel free to try what tastes best to you, you can’t go wrong! The masala is totally versatile and up to your creativity! You can even use this masala for toppings on pizza, tacos, in burritos, etc.
For the Masala Creamy Cheese Sauce:
- 1-1.5 Tbsp Butter/Ghee
- 1/2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Oregano
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/4 cup Milk (I used 2%)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese-Grated ( You can experiment with other types of cheeses–white, parmesan, goat cheese?)
- 1-2 tbsp Jain Taco Masala (depending on how you like your spices)
- 1/2 bag Tortilla Chips of your choice
- 1/2-3/4 cups Masala Cream Sauce (See Above)
- 1/2 cups Bell Pepper, Diced (color of your choice or mixed)
- 2 Roma Tomatoes, Diced
- 1/2 cups Black Olives Sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced Jalapeños
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
Start by preparing the Jain Taco Masala, and set aside. Next, begin preparing the Masala Cream Sauce.
Melt the butter and olive oil on low heat in a nonstick pot. Once melted, toss in oregano flakes. Mix in the Jain Taco Masala with a spoon or whisk. Increase the heat to medium-high and slowly add in the heavy whipping cream and milk, while constantly stirring. Add a pinch of salt, the crushed red pepper and fresh black pepper flakes. Slowly add in the shredded cheese and mix until sauce is smooth until sauce begins to thicken. The sauce will get thick pretty quick, so keep an eye on it to not to burn it! Once it is thick, remove from heat and set aside.
Ready to make the nachos?
Spread the tortilla chips in a large glass pan. Preheat your oven to 400ºF. Drizzle the masala cream sauce generously over the chips. Layer veggies as follows!
and sprinkle on the cheese!
Finally, place the pan in the oven for about 7 minutes on bake until cheese has melted and bubbling, and veggies look cooked.
Serve warm and dig in!