Happy Memorial Day!
So maybe you’re sleeping in on your extra day off, or getting ready for a lunch picnic with friends. Here is a super easy, quick, and protein-packed recipe from the live webinar I did with Young Jains of America on Compassionate Cooking (video tutorial coming soon on my YouTube channel, so subscribe here!) that will help you kickstart your day:
Vegan Tofu Scramble with Roasted Corn Salsa
Prep Time: 10 minutes & Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 8-oz block tofu, extra firm- drained and crumbled
- olive oil
- ½ green chili or jalapeno
- ½ red/yellow/green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 2 cups greens (kale or spinach)
- ½ cup black beans
- 1 small zucchini chopped
- 2 stalks chopped celery
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ cup chopped cilantro (or parsley if you don’t like cilantro)
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Hot sauce (Choluda and Tabasco are Jain-friendly!)
- Spice Paste
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Dash of Asafoetida powder (Hing)
- ~3 tbsp water to make sauce
- Sliced avocado
- Whole wheat tortilla (if creating a breakfast burrito)
5-minute Jain Roasted Corn Salsa:
- 3-4 medium roma tomatoes, halved
- juice of ½ lemon
- sea salt to taste
- 3/4 cup cilantro
- 1 small green pepper diced
- 1 cup roasted corn (1/2 cup reserved; I bought this frozen at Trader Joe’s but you could also just use regular corn)
- 1-2 stalks of diced celery (This makes a great onion substitution in texture! You can also use diced fennel)
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper (fresh)
Directions: Toss all ingredients into blender, blend on medium speed until crushed but chunky texture. Finally, mix in reserved portions for chunky salsa! THAT IS IT.
Directions: Heat oil on medium heat and add green chili until it starts to sizzle. Add in tofu and cook for 5-10 minutes until lightly browned. Add in black beans and veggies to the sauté for 5 minutes. Add spice sauce and lemon juice and let it cook for 5 more minutes. Add your fresh greens, cherry tomatoes, and cilantro, bring to low heat. Serve as a side dish or wrapped in a tortilla as a breakfast burrito with avocado and your favorite hot sauce! If you’re up for it, an avocado rose makes a beautiful garnish!
*If you are making a breakfast burrito, add the tofu scramble filling, some more of your favorite greens, and sliced avocado to a warmed whole wheat tortilla. Wrap the burrito and lightly brush the outside with olive oil. Place on a pan until tortilla is lightly browned, flip and repeat.
**You can even turn these into enchiladas by covering the burritos with enchilada sauce in a glass pan, topping it with vegan or vegetarian cheese, and baking it for 20 minutes at 375F. Leave a comment below if you’d like me to demo an enchilada recipe and how to make Jain enchilada sauce from scratch! 🙂
***I had this for dinner last night as a filling in mini taco tortillas, they make for super cute taco sliders!