Did you know avocados are a berry, not a vegetable? Here are some quick stats on the lovely fruit:
- Avocados are high in healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, unlike most fruits which are high in carbohydrates. They are low in saturated fats (unhealthy fat).
- They contain more potassium than a banana! Potassium is essential for blood pressure regulation.
- The are abundant in Vitamin K, Folate, Vitamin C, Potassium, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin E
A quick trick to know if your avocados are ripe: Gently peel off the stem and look for a bright green color like below. Then your avocado is ready to go!
- 2-3 ripe avocados, diced
- 2 diced medium roma tomatoes or 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- fresh green chilli, diced (for spicier version)
- 1/2 cup black beans (optional, but adds a good source of protein!)
- handful of cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- juice of 1/2 lemon (or to taste)
- salt to taste
- 1-2 tsp paprika
How to make:
Simply toss all prepped ingredients into a bowl and mix! Add lemon juice, spices, and salt as you mix to your taste preference. Pair with some healthy chips–here I used some black bean chips I bought at Costco. Feel free to use this mix in tacos, quesadillas, or on tostadas too.
Have any leftovers? This salsa makes for a great pizza topping! Just spoon some onto a pizza crust, naan, or flatbread, add tomato sauce, and sprinkle on vegetarian or vegan cheese of choice. Top off with some oregano or Italian seasoning.