Did you know avocados are a berry, not a vegetable? Here are some quick stats on the lovely fruit:
- Avocados are high in healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, unlike most fruits which are high in carbohydrates. They are low in saturated fats (unhealthy fat).
- They contain more potassium than a banana! Potassium is essential for blood pressure regulation.
- The are abundant in Vitamin K, Folate, Vitamin C, Potassium, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin E
A quick trick to know if your avocados are ripe: Gently peel off the stem and look for a bright green color like below. Then your avocado is ready to go!
- 2-3 ripe avocados, diced
- 2 diced medium roma tomatoes or 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- fresh green chilli, diced (for spicier version)
- 1/2 cup black beans (optional, but adds a good source of protein!)
- handful of cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- juice of 1/2 lemon (or to taste)
- salt to taste
- 1-2 tsp paprika
How to make:
Simply toss all prepped ingredients into a bowl and mix! Add lemon juice, spices, and salt as you mix to your taste preference. Pair with some healthy chips–here I used some black bean chips I bought at Costco. Feel free to use this mix in tacos, quesadillas, or on tostadas too.
Have any leftovers? This salsa makes for a great pizza topping! Just spoon some onto a pizza crust, naan, or flatbread, add tomato sauce, and sprinkle on vegetarian or vegan cheese of choice. Top off with some oregano or Italian seasoning.
One thought on “Avocado Corn Salsa”
Lovely, mouthwatering recipe.
Looking great, will try for sure👍