Rose Watermelon-Lychee Jello Parfait
Parfaits are alwayssss delicious. Combining different flavors, and textures, they can please any palate. Jello is a fun ingredient, but often, vegetarians and vegans find it difficult to mimick the texture gelitan free. However, there is a secret ingredient for everything! I came up with this recipe for a healthy and refreshing dessert parfait.
- Rose Watermelon-Lychee Jello Parfait:
- Scoops of Seedless Watermelon (use a melon baller)
- Rose Syrup (you can find this at Indian or Middle Eastern grocery stores)
- Sprigs of Fresh Mint
- Lychee Juice/Nectar
- Fresh Lychee (optional)
- Agar-Agar powder
Lychee Jello: How to make jello using agar agar
10 minutes + setting time in fridge (~2 hours)
1 1/2 tsp agar agar powder
2 Tbsp sugar or sweetener – I use agave
2 cups simmering fruit juice or nectar
- Finely chop fresh lychee if you would like to add it into the jello. You can use drained canned lychee too if you can’t find fresh ones.
- In a heavy-bottom pot, heat up juice until it starts to simmer. Then, add in the agar agar and sugar. Stir well and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer while continuing to stir for 5-7 minutes or until both the agar agar and sugar have dissolved.
- Pour mixture into a shallow pan or thali. If you are adding fruit, pour half of it in the pan, then sprinkle in the chopped fruit, and pour the remaining mixture over it.
- Cover the pan and chill in the fridge for 2-4 hours or until it has set.
- First, scoop your watermelon, cover and set in fridge.
- Next, prepare the Lychee-jello.
- Arrange watermelon with Lychee jello pieces and mint leaves in a parfait glass. Drizzle rose syrup over the parfait and savor every bite.
Varieties: You can experiment using different fruits and different juices for the jello! Maybe a “Paradise Parfait” using papaya and pineapple pieces with a coconut milk jello? mmmmmmm 🙂