Thursday Physics lab cancelled…time to
catch up on homework try a new recipe!
Heirloom Tomato – Lemon Chutney Tofu Open Face Sandwich
makes two slices
2 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
2 cups mixed greens with herbs
1 medium heirloom tomato, sliced
1/2 avocado, sliced
drizzle of olive oil (on toast)
8 rectangle pieces of extra-firm tofu
Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
1 heaping tbsp Green Chili Chutney
2 tsp agave syrup
1-2 tsp olive oil
2 tbsp Kholapuri Masala (or any indian masala spice mix of your choice!)
fresh crushed black pepper to top
1. Dry sliced tofu between paper towel sheets.
2. Pour lemon juice into a shallow container. Add 1 tbsp green chili chutney, and mix well.
3. Coat tofu slices with chutney-lemon mixture. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a shallow pan. Once warm, place the tofu slices in the pan. Sprinkle masala and a few twists of black pepper onto tofu slices. Drizzle agave nectar over the tofu; let cook for 5-8 minutes on medium heat. Cook thoroughly on both sides.
4. While tofu is cooking, prep avocado and tomato slices. Also toast bread slices.
5. Assemble plate with herbed greens on the bottom of the plate. Place warm toast over greens, and drizzle olive oil over the toast. Layer heirloom tomato, avocado, and warm tofu slices. Sprinkle some more black pepper over assembly. Garnish with lemon slices!
This was my first time trying this recipe, and it was absolutely delicious. If you like it more spicy, use chili oil instead of olive oil, or add crushed red pepper to tofu slices when cooking, or maybe some more masala. Experiment and customize, and enjoy this delicious, healthy Jain meal 🙂